The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is the process established by the Church for individuals to become Catholic and receive the sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist). This initiation process also involves a parish community that experiences a renewal in faith as it prepares and welcomes new members into the Church.
The Rite speaks of conversion as a “spiritual journey.” Centered on fostering a deep relationship with Jesus and the Church he founded, this journey takes place through distinct stages over a period of time suitable to bring about a thorough catechesis, significant experience of the parish community, and a commitment to the liturgical and moral life of the Catholic faithful.
The RCIA process is a restoration of the ancient catechumenate arising within the first three centuries following the era of the apostles. It was the early Church’s way of Christianizing the pagan Roman Empire. The Second Vatican Council called for the restoration and use of this venerable and powerful method of initiation for the worldwide Church.
Who is RCIA for?
- Persons in need of Baptism.
- Persons baptized in another Christian tradition who desire to become Catholic.
- Persons baptized Catholic in need of First Communion and/or Confirmation.
How long does RCIA take?
- How long does it take for any relationship to develop?
- We all journey on different paths at different times. The Period of the Catechumenate, or period of instruction, can vary for each person. It all depends on how the catechumen is growing in the faith, and when the catechumen is ready to make a full faith commitment to Jesus and the Catholic Church.
- On this journey of faith, various Rites are celebrated with the parish and diocesan community. Full initiation into the Church is beautifully celebrated each year at the Easter Vigil, or at another time as deemed appropriate by the bishop or pastor.
How do I embark on this journey of faith?
- RCIA (for adults) meets on Sunday mornings from 9:00 am – 11:15 am. Please call (916) 985-2065, ext. 17 for more information.
- RCIA Adapted for Children and teens will meet on Sunday mornings in a separate room, but at the same time as the adults. Please call Cynthia Mulcaire: (916) 985-7338 for more information.